Improving my gut health was important to me this past year. Knowing that the gut is tied to so many different bodily processes, like immune response and digestion, it’s ideal to make sure everything is running smoothly.
Adding probiotics and prebiotics to my daily routine was one way that I decided to take gut health into my own hands. I compared Viome and Seed DS-01 Daily Synbiotic (pre- and probiotics), and I’m here to share some information with you regarding ingredients, cost, benefits and my personal experience.
Quick Facts Before Buying Seed or Viome Probiotics
Get 20% off with Seed coupon code FHM20
All About Seed Synbiotic
Seed Synbiotic has a more versatile formula compared to Viome, which is why I considered it first. With 24 different strains of prebiotics and probiotics, there’s not a lot that’s left to be desired. Seed has taken into account what the gut needs to thrive, even formulating their product to survive the trip through your stomach acid, various enzymes in the body, etc.
A quick look at Seed Synbiotic left me impressed. You get 37 billion AFUs from just the 16 probiotic strains that are in this product. There are other blends included that focus on skin health, heart health and a micronutrient synthesis formula. There’s also the prebiotics to take into consideration and microbiota-accessible polyphenolic precursors from Indian pomegranate. This protects the body from things like bacteria, viruses, fungi and oxidative stress.
Get 20% off using code FHM20
My Experience Using Seed
I have to be honest; I was a little worried about trying Seed Synbiotic at first. There’s a lot of different strains of prebiotics and probiotics in this product, which can cause some GI upset at first. I have a bit of a sensitive stomach, but that’s one of the reasons I wanted to start taking a gut health supplement in the first place.
I was actually pleasantly surprised that I didn’t really feel gassy, bloated or unwell when I first started this supplement. I may have noticed some more frequent bowel movements for the first week or two, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Besides, they weren’t uncomfortable, and didn’t send me running to the bathroom in an emergency.
It took a few weeks for me to really see a substantial change in my gut health, but that’s pretty typical when starting a probiotic or synbiotic. You have to wait for those beneficial bacteria to repopulate your gut and reduce the bad bacteria that may be causing issues like bloating, gas, constipation, etc.
What I Liked
- There are plenty of strains included in this product, so I didn't feel it was necessary to worry about not getting what the gut needs to thrive.
- I didn’t experience any discomfort when starting Seed Synbiotic.
- Affordable, priced at under $50 per month. Based on what you get in each dose, I found this to be pretty affordable.
- There is an antioxidant aspect to this product as well, which can help boost the body’s natural immune response.
- Seed offers a teen formula.
What I Didn’t Like
- I feel like you have to be really dedicated to taking a gut health supplement to want to try Seed. It has a very diverse formula, which might be too much for some people.
- I’d love to see more information available on the Seed website that explains what each strain is and what it’s used for.
Seed Discount Code (20% off): FHM20
All About Viome Precision Probiotics + Prebiotics
Before you start taking Viome’s Precision Probiotics and Prebiotics, you complete a gut health test to find out details regarding your microbial gene expression, human gene expression and mitochondrial gene expression. This information helps Viome determine what the state of your gut health is and what you need in order to make improvements. Viome explains on their website that two people can have a very different experience with taking a probiotic supplement because of how diverse gut health can be. Viome has developed a system that addresses this issue, providing as customized a supplement as possible.
Viome outlines nine different prebiotics and probiotics on their website that are commonly used in their customized products. There are others that are available, but I had to do a little research on my own to find out more.
My Experience Using Viome
The reason I tried Viome is because I was able to take advantage of the $199 deal they were running. This price got me their gut health test in addition to their prebiotic and probiotic supplement. This can be a bit of a splurge for some people, but I like the concept of learning more about your gut health before you dive into taking a supplement. The product you receive from Viome is based on your results.
What I Liked
- You can’t beat the personalized approach of this product. You’re not taking a supplement that has a one-size-fits-all approach. Your data helps Viome determine what will work best for you.
- The package deal that includes the gut health test and the supplements is a good deal.
- A lot of information is available on the Viome website. You can read up on the different strains they use, how they come up with your results, etc.
- Viome runs a lot of promotions. For example, while writing this review, there was a 15% discount for the first three months of your subscription.
What I Didn’t Like
- If your gut health changes in the future and you need different strains, you would have to repeat the gut health test to find out. You do get another test every 12 orders, however.
- It takes two to three weeks to get your results, so you’ll have to hold off starting your supplement.
Let’s look at my experience with these two products and how they compare.
It’s difficult to compare the formulas of these two products since Viome offers customization of their supplements. However, you’re likely going to see a lot of the same strains for both brands. That being said, Seed includes pretty much everything you need in their supplement without having to worry about completing a gut health assessment.
Your Viome supplement that is recommended to you can include a few strains or a large amount. It really depends on the current state of your gut health.
The current price of Seed Synbiotic is $49.99 for a 30-day supply. This is a bit expensive, but you have to consider the vast number of strains that you’re getting in each dose.
The price of a Viome subscription is currently $69.95 per month, which gets you the initial gut health test kit, your monthly supplement and a repeat test every 12 orders. Depending on what strains are recommended to you, Viome may be a little expensive.
Main Differences Between Seed and Viome
In my experience, it’s been helpful to have some initial data to consider when starting a prebiotic and probiotic. Viome provides that feature, in addition to customizing what you’re taking so you’re not wasting your time with something your body doesn’t need. Plus, you’re retesting once every year, which personally helps me make sure I’m still on the right track. You could always retest more frequently if you think it would be beneficial, but that’s going to cost you.
Seed has a very versatile formula. I didn’t see many supplements on the market that offered quite so many prebiotic and probiotic ingredients. If you’re not interested in testing your gut health and just want to start populating your GI system with beneficial bacteria and prebiotics that help those bacteria thrive, I’d recommend getting started with Seed. It’s definitely a fast-track kind of option.
Comparing Results: Which Synbiotic Was Better: Viome or Seed?
Both Seed Synbiotic and Viome Precision Probiotics + Prebiotics were easy on my gut, and I found benefits with both. I definitely had a much more comfortable digestive process with both supplements. There was more of an adjustment period with Seed, which I simply attribute to the number of strains included in its formula.
I saw noticeable benefits with Seed in a shorter amount of time, but that’s taking into account that I had to wait for my results from the Viome gut health test kit before I started taking their supplement. My own formula didn’t include anywhere near 24 strains, so it wasn’t as versatile as what Seed offered me. Your experience might be different, however.
If you feel like you’re completely in the dark regarding your gut health, you would probably find it beneficial to order the Viome gut health test kit and customized supplement. This takes a lot of the guesswork out of trying to pick a synbiotic.
Of course, Seed is a very high-quality company that offers a great synbiotic for adults in addition to their teen supplement. It’s affordable and really provides you with everything you need to start improving your gut.
Choose Viome If…
- You want to learn more about the state of your gut health before starting a supplement.
- You want a customized supplement.
- Reading about the ingredients you’re taking and why they’re beneficial by way of an app is enticing to you.
Choose Seed If...
- You want a supplement that includes a large number of prebiotic and probiotic strains.
- You want to skip the gut health test feature.
- You’re trying to stick to a budget.
Seed Discount Code (20% off): FHM20